Tuesday 6 November 2012

On the Street….The Smarties, Soweto, SA


About a year ago I was talking about my travel wishlist  with my good friend Sam Lambert. I had mentioned visiting Africa and immediately Sam told me I had to meet this group of young men in Soweto that called themselves The Smarties.

Sam was right; these young men love fashion, design their own looks, and even sew the clothes themselves. Their look is a mix of their personal experiences and their dreams.

Kabelo, the young man pictured above, found this suit at a second-hand shop and and had it altered to his exact desires. He is very soft-spoken and sincere, it was quite touching when he told me that Lino is his hero and that he wore his “Italian flag” hat on that specific  day to honor Luca Rubinacci’s birthday.

Continue checking the site for more updates about the Smarteez

By Scott Shuman
of TheSartorialist

1 comment:

Marian said...

He looks all kinds of wonderful.
Thank you ACF for sharing this.
Marian